Friday, September 27, 2013

Thank you J Cole

To all the women with the flaws, know it's hard my darling
You wonder why you're lonely and your man's not calling
You keep falling victim cause you're insecure
And when I tell you that you're beautiful you can't be sure
Cause he don't seem to want you back and it's got you asking
So all you see is what you lacking, not what you packing
Take it from a man that loves what you got
And baby girl you're a star, don't let 'em tell you you're not
Now is it real? Eyebrows, fingernails, hair
Is it real? if it's not, girl you don't care
Cause what's real is something that the eyes can't see
That the hands can't touch, that them broads can't be, and that's you
Never let 'em see you frown
And if you need a friend to pick you up, I'll be around
And we can ride with the windows down, the music loud
I can tell you ain't laughed in a while, but I wanna see that crooked smile - J Cole



As I type this, I am jamming to J Cole's song 'Crooked Smile' . So obviously I was inspired. This song is pure and beautiful in terms of rap. The chorus is catchy and the words resonate with an air of truth, for we all can relate to what he has to say. Some more than others. I for one technically have a crooked teeth and instead of getting braces I made the choice to stick with my imperfections ( Before the song was made), and yet sometimes when I see those beautiful people on the red carpet I tend to pause and think maybe just maybe I should also fix my looks to fit society and to be considered beautiful. Every time these thoughts hit me though I run to songs like 'crooked smile' and 'beautiful' by Christina Aguilera and I enter the reality that looks don't matter and that imperfections are marvellous because its better to be different than just another societal shade of grey. So here's to all our imperfections whether its a crooked smile, love handles, a disability a disorder or anything of the sort, because these quirks are what make us who we are.

“There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.”   - Steve Maraboli

xxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment